Applications are only reviewed when local 798 needs to add members for current jobs or future work. Therefore, to maintain current information, we only hold an application on file for six months. If you have not been contacted during the six months after submitting an application, you will need to resubmit an updated application for our file.
Local 798 is committed to nondiscriminatory treatment of all members (and potential members) working in the Pipeline Construction Industry. Any member who interferes with Local 798’s EEOC efforts will be subject to discipline, up to and including expulsion from Local Union 798. In accordance to EEOC guidelines, all membership applications are considered regardless of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
Welder Membership Requirements and Procedures:
1. Required experience with downhill welding, minimum 24” pipe.
2. Be able to pass a downhill welding test: 24” .500 wall bell-hole test, to be puddle capped.
3. Must own a welding rig.
4. Must be drug free.
5. You must complete a pre-qualifying application – available below.
6. Once approved, you must schedule a test in Tulsa, OK.
7. Welder Initiation Fee is $2000.00.
8. Test fee is $250.00. If you fail the test, you forfeit the $250.00.
9. If you complete the test, you must pay the balance of $1750.00 towards your initiation fee plus 3 months dues in advance on the date of the completed test.
1. Complete a pre-qualifying application (below), which must show 240 hours pipeline or welding experience. Pre-qualifying applications will only be reviewed as we need to add Helper members to cover the work available. We will notify you by mail once your application has been reviewed.
2. Get yourself hired out to a Union Pipeline Contractor working in Local 798’s jurisdiction. Once you have worked 8 days, you should locate the Job Steward, who will provide the paperwork to start the application process.
3. Helper Initiation Fee is $1200.00 plus 3 months dues in advance.
4. Application process must be completed within 45 days of receiving the application paperwork.